4.30.2005

May is National Bike Month

What Can Biking do for You?


I'm sure you all know that February is Black History Month, that March is dedicated to women, but did you know that May is National Bike Month? Yes, it's that time of year to dust off your seat, oil up the gears and put your feet on the pedals. May 16th has been designated as "Bike to Work" day so I urge all of you to try a different means of commuting than a key in the ignition.
In honor of such a month, to promote a cleaner environment, and to save gas money, I will be commuting to school on two rubber wheels and a metal frame. The reality is, all this talk about diet and exercise in Biochemistry made me feel guilty about my exercise habits and made me realize that while walking 1.5 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow barefoot might be a challenge, perhaps biking would be somewhat easier. So last week I broke down and invested in my health and in a mountain bike. I can't think of a better way to start the day than a short ride to school with no radio blaring in my ear and only the sounds of rubber on the road and my heart beating, waking me up from my drowsy state as I pedal to Stanton-Gerber Hall for an 8am class.
Speaking of Biochemistry and health, I've recently been thinking about such issues in regards to the patients I've seen and my own health. Almost certainly, over half of my future patient load could be eliminated by proper diet and exercise. So many of our health related issues stem from an improper balance of diet and lack of exercise. I find it ironic that we will pay for premium gasoline, that we will buy the best quality brand of clothes, detergents, vehicles, etc.. However, when it comes to our bodies, we settle for junk. We load it with partially-hydrogenated, chemically saturated, high fructose corn syrup carbonated junk. Though our bodies were beautifully and intricately designed, it is illogical to think that they were engineered to daily combat such chemical creations.
I may not be able to control my genetic composition nor any accidents that may be beset me, but I can control what I allow to enter my body and how I use it. It is for such reasons that I have, when possible, made the switch to organic foods. Before you tell me that my time in Appalachia has turned me into some bike-riding, tree-hugging, hippie chick, keep reading. Not only is organic food lacking in unknown and carcinogenic chemicals, organic foods are produced in such a way that benefits the community and the environment. They promote family farms and support local communities and eliminate the chemical byproducts that come from regular, mass-producing agrarian businesses. In particular, organic milk and meat from organic (range-fed) animals lack the antibiotics and steroid hormones that come non-organic sources. Did you know that every time you order a meat dish at your favorite restaurant that that animal was probably kept from birth in a small stall and never allowed out to roam the verdant hills like any God-created cow or chicken should be allowed to do? Do you realize that every bottle of milk you buy probably came from a cow who was pumped up with antibiotics and possibly fed feed that had meat from other animals mixed in with it? Just a few things to think about.
Even if I have convinced you to buy organic, you're probably thinking, "Michele, this is going to be expensive, and it all tastes like rabbit food!"
Actually, it's not anymore expensive than picking up a few Greastals and an order of fat fries everyday. I can go and buy an organic pizza for the same price of a take-out pizza. I can buy enough organic food for lunch everyday cheaper than I could go out to eat for those same lunches. As far as tasting like rabbit food, just open up a box of Health Valley granola bars, a container of Horizon yogurt, or a can of Amy's brand soups and try it. I personally find the lack of chemical additives as a supplement to the taste.
Here are some helpful links to understanding the term "Organic" and why we should all consider making the switch:

SustainableTable.org

Guidelines Regarding Food Additives

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy going out for that occasional pizza or indulging in a piece of chocolate birthday cake. However, I was given one body on this earth, and I intend to take care of it as best I can. So go ahead, comment away about your "Appalachian, bike-riding, organic food-loving" friend's post. In the meantime, go try something organic, and don't forget your bike helmet! Remember, May is National Bike Month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome :)