4.18.2005

Lack of Concentration

I have a confession to make: I'm not concentrating on biochem right now as I should be. It's 11:30pm, and my mind has traversed all paths but those of steroid synthesis and metabolism. Instead, I am aimlessly staring at my computer, chatting with old friends, and typing a quick post to be viewed by all the world should they pause momentarily from their busy schedules to read another one of my ramblings.
I've been reading a lot of Oswald Chambers lately (as if you haven't been able to tell by my previous posts) As I was reading April 15th's daily devotional, I came across one of his many interesting insights. The focus of the devotional was spiritual concentration, and the point was made about how often we as Christians feel deserving of a "moral holiday," a respite such as I am taking this very moment from my studies. Society seems to apply this perspective to many aspects of our lives: I ran two miles today; therefore, I can splurge and have that extra piece of cake at dinner. I just studied for an hour so I deserve a 15 minute break. I brown-bagged it all week so I can go out to eat on Saturday night. Likewise, many of us Christians hold this same paradigm in regards to our Christian lives. We have a tendency to say to ourselves, "Let's see. I went to church three times this week, put some money in the offering plate, read my Bible daily, and helped the elderly lady next door. Surely, am I not entitled a small break to live as the rest of the world does? After all, I've checked off my list for this week. I'm good to go."

While the rewards and rest system might function well for study breaks and extra cake, we cannot approach our Christian lives in the same manner. Can a wife who has been faithful to her husband for forty years all of a sudden decide she needs a "vacation" from their marriage and have an affair one night? Suppose your heart decided to take a break after you just finished a marathon because it thought it had worked hard the last few hours and needed a rest, or suppose your kidneys decided they had filtered their quota for the week and were "off duty" until Saturday? Would not consequences ensue from each of these "vacations?"
Likewise, we must continue forward in our walk, not stopping to "take a rest" or a "vacation," regardless of how much we think we might deserve such a rest or how difficult the walk may be.
Anyways, I probably need to step off my soap box and resume my studies of cholesterol and steroids.
Only one more month to go, but what a month it's going to be!

No comments: