3.25.2005

What a Beautiful Day...

...for a birthday!

Yes, I've officially hit the big 23 (2 years away from being a 1/4 century old!!) I must say, so far, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it might be. It's funny how when you're younger you want to be old and once you're older you want to be young.
To celebrate the big day, some of my cronies from med school and I decided to venture out into the wilderness. It's kind of been a tradition for me to go hiking on Good Friday; there's something about being in God's creation that makes you feel closer to the one who created it. Needless to say, I was somewhat concerned when I woke up this morning and saw a solid band of green on the radar and a 40% chance of thunderstorms. Being the risk takers we are, Jennifer, JC, Candice, and I decided to take the chance and drive to Rock Creek Falls in Erwin, TN. I'm so glad we did. The clouds lifted, and by the time we got to the falls, the sun was shining brightly on the white spray of water on the rocks. Though not the 8-10 mile excursions I was used to in college, the four miles was a fun mix of crawling over logs, rock-hopping the creek, and the inevitable falling in and getting wet as comes with all un-bridged creek crossings.
Not wanting to waste such a beautiful day, Candice and I decided to make use of the VA's vast greenery in front of Quillen and study on a sunny bench. When I got home, I found a few cards and emails from real and church family in my mailbox.
I find the fact that my birthday is juxtaposed on Good Friday somewhat ironic. 2000 and something years ago, the day was obscured by my sins clinging to a man dying on a cross so that a little baby could be born 23 years ago only to be born again on June 28, 1992. This same man was left without a friend in the world that day so this girl could feel loved by those around her. Yes, it truly is a Good Friday in many ways.
Well, I think Mom and Dad are almost here (they're driving all the way from Smyrna to come celebrate this weekend) and they're bringing me birthday cake (calories don't count on your birthday do they?)
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter Weekend and reflect on what it means to you!!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Happy Birthday! (a few days late)

Michele G said...

Thanks Dave!
It was a great birthday/Easter weekend complete with quality time with the parents, random road trip, a day free of studying, and homemade birthday cake :o)