3.03.2005

Life in a Small Tube

Knock, knock, zzrrr. bam! Thunk!

No I haven't been reading the latest comic book action scene. I had the joy of spending 30 minutes in a 2 foot tube being absolutely still while a huge magnet reorganized every dipole moment in my entire body and gurgled like some underfed monster. I had had one done a few years ago when they thought my naturally goofy nature must be attributable to several loose screws in my head. When they didn't find any loose screws they just chalked my goofiness up to the fact that I'm Michele. However, I had forgotten how as soon as they wheel you in the tube, a sudden sense of claustrophobia develops and how it seems at that moment that the room is filled with itching powder because you have to scratch your nose and you can't for 30 minutes because you have to be absolutely still. Needless to say, I had no qualms about leaving the tube when they were done imaging my spine.
The mystery of my back pain may finally be uncovered soon or I may be back at square one (word to the wise: if you match up a Toyota Corolla with a Dodge Ram 3500 truck, the truck's going to win and the Corolla will get smushed). Being the med school nerd that I am, when I was done with the MRI, I asked for films. Nothing looks incredibly out of place, but then again I'm a first year med student which means I know absolutely nothing about medicine nor reading MRIs except what I had to learn to ace the anatomy exams. That being said, it looks like it may just be muscle damage which means back to Pilates and Yoga and maybe massage therapy (which is perfectly fine with me :o)). No spinal alignment from some chiropractor for me. My spine is perfectly in line thank you.
So we'll see, and I'll keep you posted. More thoughtful posts to come as soon as my brain recovers from this week's series of exams.

1 comment:

kentbrantly said...

hi michele, my name is kent. you posted a comment on my blog a while back and i just got around to looking at your blog to find out who you are. while i still don't know you, i thank you for the blessing that you have just been to me. i read several of your posts, and i was moved by your charge for us to heed God's great commission to us. as i prepare to start med school in the fall, i pray that the Lord works through me as i see him working through you - even in the midst of the craziness of med school.
i also saw a comment from somebody mentioning mike cope's blog. what a small world. i went to mike's church while i was in college at ACU.
i would appreciate your prayers, and the prayers of your readers as i endeavor to learn spanish here in guatemala. one week down, 12 more to go.
i hope your MRI results bring good news. Que Dios te bendiga, hermana.