8.25.2004

Health Freaks and Geeks

Thank goodness the gym finally opened up this week!!! It's been nice to start back into a regular exercise routine. I think half of the med. school was there when it opened on Monday (as if we don't see each other enough already). There are benefits to going to school with other people interested in health and in healing people. For the most part they all eat pretty healthy which I'm hoping will rub off on me and curb me of some bad eating habits I picked up in college and help me take off my freshman...err...college 15. I think Johnson City as a whole has got to be the most exercise crazy town I've ever lived in. People are always running around the campus and at the VA park and bike racks seem to abound.
I felt like I was in Central America last night. To put in some more service hours for my psych class I volunteered at a Christian-based free health care clinic near Kingsport, translating and shadowing the doctor. Half of our clientele were Hispanic and I had the cutest little 4yr old girl and her mother and siblings for patients. I felt like I was back at Clinic Amicus running a typical day with one of the brigade docs and letting my patients know that God loves them. I'm so glad I have the blessing and ability to be able to serve in that way, though I think I benefitted from the experience more than my clients did.
Well, I should probably appreciating this time and be sleeping instead of typing to myself. Buenas noches!!!

No comments: