8.18.2004

The Heart of the Matter


Sunday Afternoon Drive

So I got to play doctor today right? Actually, it's called Intro to Phys Exam which is a really cool class that utilizes standardized patients to help teach us neophytes the proper way to conduct a physical exam. Today was chest and lung exam day which meant that a local cardiothoracic surgeon (how's that for a cool title?) was present to help us with any questions we might have and explain proper technique, etc. He also was present in lab; it was "dissect the heart" day. Anatomy lab has to be one of the weirdest and most intriguing experiences I've had in my academic career. I mean...if anyone else was doing what we are doing, they'd call them crazy and lock them away. It's almost inevitable that I have to distance myself from my cadaver and try to think of only the academics of what I'm doing; yet at the same time, I don't want to completely forget that he was once a person like me who had feelings, thoughts, emotions, and a family. I suppose that's the dichotomous nature of medicine and the conundrum of physicians worldwide. How do you keep the humanity of your patient in mind without letting that same humanity cloud the academic components of anatomy, pathology, etc. that are essential in the patient's treatment?
Things are starting to settle into place in most areas of my life though I'm still often plagued with the feeling that I've stuck my head in a shirt and am searching for the sleeve holes. Oh well, I'll eventually find my niche. Life's a journey so I guess part of that journey is finding out where is lost and where is where you're supposed to be.
An answered prayer is this coming Sunday's migrant worker clinic at a nearby farm that employs about 250 immigrant workers. I can't wait to get back to serving and to the Latin culture. Life without some regular component of service makes me feel like some type of "social club Sunday potluck dinner" kind of Christian. I'll be helping out translating and maybe helping with some health survey work or presenting health-related skits to those of the community. It'll be like MET, except I'm in rural East Tennessee. I think I'm also going to assist the new Medical Spanish class elective they're having at QCOM Friday afternoons. I'd love it if my peers could learn Spanish too. It's such a needed skill here and seemingly everywhere in the States. Whoever thought I'd get to use my Spanish here?
The last few weeks have been some of the most academically, mentally, and spiritually challenging for me that I've experienced so far in my life. Worth it? Oh yeah. I love it here.


Wondering what that lovely mountain landscape is? It's called part of the AT near Roan Mountain. There are benefits to living 1/2 hour from the Appalachian Mountains, and yes med. students do have time to get out and have fun every once in a while :o)

No comments: