2.19.2005

What do you Think?

After months/years of relying on the generosity of friends, and since this is probably something I'm going to be participating in for the rest of my life (assuming my upcoming MRI on my back gives me the green light), I've decided that I should probably invest in my own outdoor equipment. In doing so, I'd like to purchase the best quality for the price items that fit within a med school budget (used is ok). So...here's where audience participation (that means YOU) comes into this blog.

What brands/items are your favorites to use on your outdoor excursions?

4 comments:

Justin said...

That's a loaded question. I have a lot of North Face gear, but I also like Patagonia, and Mountain Hardware. Some of my accessories are from Outdoor Research (orgear.com).

I have a NF RoadRunner 23 tent. Its a good 2 person 3 season tent. I bought it off eBay.

Get a good sleeping pad. It can make a HUGE difference. I like the Therm-a-rest ProLite 3. Its crazy how little this weighs.

Ultimately, you got to buy for what your camping in. For this area, 3 season gear is a good balance.

When I buy online, I use REI.COM and ALTREC.COM.

Anonymous said...

If ye must go to the mountains buy a mountain bike. You can ride

Here.And here.And invest in a good bike, but not the best bike. I'd buy this one. You can take it off a cliff. Buy it used to save money. You'll never hike again.

crittermer said...

Hey Michelita, what exactly is a "med-school budget"? Isn't it about $0?

And like Alicia, I defer to the guys on what you should be buying with all your med-school money=)

Michele G said...

Hmm. I think Mr. (or miss) Anon has never hiked Charlie's Bunion. The bike might survive off that cliff but I don't think I would :O) (though a bike would be nice ie if any of you have one you'd like to donate to the "Improve Michele's Health" fund. As for med school budget, Mer's right. It's $0 except for generous Christmas and Bday gifts or me pretending I actually have money. Anyways, lunchtime's over. Back to learning how our lungs work and why ingesting cyanide is a bad idea.