2.06.2005

An Answered Prayer

I was going to write about how my favorite burrito company in Knoxville, Moes, now has competition here in Johnson City, but after what happened tonight, that seems like a very trivial issue.
I suppose I should start from the beginning (well maybe not the very beginning). The other day my classmate, who knows alot of the Hispanics in the area, told me that he had met a couple from Guatemala who was looking for a Church of Christ. I remember that night as I went to bed praying for that couple and praying that somehow that we could find each other.
I usually don't go to church on Sunday nights because it seems that our tests always fall on Mondays. However, since I don't have any tests for a few weeks, I decided that I'd go tonight even though the big game was on TV. Our preacher had preached this morning about multiculturalism, and I had plans of emailing him to see if Central had thought about starting a Hispanic congregation. In a way he beat me to the point. After services tonight were over, our preacher stood up and asked if there was anyone who spoke Spanish. I felt all eyes (at least all my college friends) turn toward me. I went up to him afterwards and told him that I did. He proceeded to tell me that he'd received an email from TX saying that there was a couple here in Johnson City that was looking for a Church of Christ. We looked at the email and I noted that the address was in the apartment complex where I just started volunteering as a mentor with a Hispanic afterschool program. The complex is less than a mile from my house. I called the man, Amado Velasquez, and asked if we could come visit. He agreed, and the preacher and I went to his apartment. To make a long story short, Amado and his family had been members of the church in Guatemala. They had moved to the States and quit going to church. When they moved to Johnson City about a year ago, he felt the urge to rededicate his life. He asked around, but everyone told him that there wasn't a Church of Christ.
As I prepared to move to Johnson City, not quite a year ago, I remember praying to God to let me find ways to use my Spanish, especially in bringing others to Christ and helping them grow closer to God. You see where this is going? Tonight I was an answer to Amado's prayer and my own. It made me realize that God doesn't always answer our prayers right away, and He goes through great lengths to seek out the 1 wandering sheep (Amado told me he felt like that sheep) though He already has 99 others.
I ask for your prayers for Amado and his family, that the church here can help him and maybe even start a Hispanic congregation, and that somehow I will be able to juggle this and my med school studies, the least on my mind at the moment. Before we left the small, crowded apartment, Amado, eyes bright and a smile from ear-to-ear etched on his face, told us how thankful he was that God had sent us and for such a loving Christian family. Indeed, I'm thankful too to be a part such a family that knows no race, geographical, or language barrier and to serve a God who loves us so much that he'd bring a wandering Guatemalan brother and a seeking Gringa sister together. Sendas Dios hara!

2 comments:

Justin said...

That's awesome. Alabanza a Dios.

Anonymous said...

I have been interested in starting a Spanish speaking ministry myself (even though I don't speak Spanish). I think now is the right time.
Josh