10.11.2004

Upon the Mountain

Charlie's Bunion, April 2004 (photo courtesy of Justin Acuff) Posted by Hello

"He who forms mountains...and treads on the high places of the earth,
the Lord God of hosts is His name. " Amos 4:13
If you've ever spent any time with me at all, you know I have a fondness for the wilderness, particularly the mountains. Many of you, being sympathetic to my whims, have left your warm sheets on a Saturday morning to accompany me on a random adventure in the Smokies. I can't say why I have a predilection for spending time in the wilderness. My parents have never understood it, especially after an attempted hike to the Chimneys ended 5 hours later after they refused to believe my 100th encouraging statement of, "I think we're almost to the top." Perhaps it is because of the aforementioned verse; there seems to be something about spending time at a lofty height that gives one a sense of being closer to the presence of God. Even those who don't consider themselves "spiritual" or "religious" admit to having a seemingly spiritual experience when peering down from a ridge to view the expanse of leafy boughs below. Despite the sweat, the burn of muscles, the shortness of breath that one experiences to reach the summit, the view is always worth the effort. How can one not having a feeling of satisfaction being surrounded by God's creation and looking out on to all that He has made?
This time of year is especially rewarding as the trees exhibit a delectable palette of ochres, crimsons, and sepias, tinged with evergreens. Though I had a test today, I couldn't pass the opportunity to spend an hour on Buffalo Mountain this past Friday afternoon. The leaves have begun to turn here in Johnson City, only whetting my appetite for a walk through the Smokies. I have to say moving away from the Smokies is one of the sacrifices of medical school. I'm thankful fall break is next week and that I'll have the opportunity to venture once again to my "playground" of sorts next Tuesday. Yep, I'm like a little kid. Forget the TV and high-tech toys, just put me in the mountains and leave me there for a few hours. I'll find plenty of ways to amuse myself, whether it be ''naming" the native flora (purple and white are my favorite species), misguiding my poor friends down a "path less taken" or trying to traverse a "shallow" stream crossing.
These hikes have lead me to many beautiful outlooks, only accessible after miles on foot and far more spectacular than any drive-in parkway "scenic overlook". Sometimes I think as Christians we expect God to grant us the mountain top experiences with only the effort of pulling up our car and jumping out for a few snap shots. Yet, to get to the real views, those untainted by man-made objects, those glimpses into the vestibule of heaven and God's portfolio of creation, takes effort and preparation. It takes strength and endurance, having the physical fitness and the right gear with you to make it to the top. Lack of either of these will put one in a bind and unable to reach the goal (and believe me I've been in both situations). Yet, I know myself especially, we often scream to God "Put me back upon the mountain top!" but we are unwilling to undergo the discipline and training needed to reach that mountain top. Hours spent mindlessly spinning my legs on the elliptical machines or sweating it out in body sculpting class may not be my ideal of fun, but it's necessary to stay and shape to do the things I really enjoy. Likewise, disciplining ourselves in areas such as prayer, service, and study may not be the most enjoyable at times; however, they are necessary components to reach that which God has set before us.

For now, I'll be content to stay in the gym and the confines of the M1 classroom and dream about next week's cool, crisp mountain air and the smell of freshly fallen leaves and how I'm going to summit the next mountain God puts in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing picture and interesting insight. Thank you.