10.20.2004

Homeless

There's nothing like the view of a sunset in Northeast Tennessee, the scarlet colored leaves accentuated by the rose and azure hues of the sky, to complement a loss in intermural football. Hey, it wasn't totally our fault, they only let us play our 7 players against the other team's 8 (I don't think I ever will understand the rules of co-ed football).
Oh well, at least the hour of exercise might assist me in getting into shape for next week's Cadaver Ball. Before you think I've lost my mind or think "Frank" and I are going somewhere on a date, let me explain. It's a tradition here at Quillen for the M2s to throw the M1s a formal every fall, a faculty roast of sorts where the M2s make fun of us and the professors, play music and just have a jolly good time taking the night off from studying. I told "Frank" I wasn't taking him so he's a little bent out of shape at the moment after hearing this. I know, we med. school nerds have an odd sense of humor.
Fall Break was a much needed respite from the stresses of school. It was nice just to have a weekend to do nothing and sit around the house and be lazy. Things had changed somewhat in my hometown, Smyrna. The old farmhouse (my grandmother's) that stood next to our house and the woods had been torn down and in its place stood an empty field ready to house the next building of school-aged punks...err...elementary school children and a wonderful powerline complements of TVA. Though I enjoyed my time there with my parents, it didn't feel like home because of the changes and the fact that most of my friends have moved away. So then I went to Knoxville, my second home so to speak, but it, too, was not as I had remembered it. My brief time in med. school had erased my carefree undergrad attitude and had given me a new appreciation of how much free time I used to have as an undergrad. Though hanging out with old friends was great and enjoyable, it didn't feel like home either. Last night, I traveled back to Johnson City, the least of the three towns that feel like home. I suppose this place never will have the "homey" atmosphere that Smyrna and Knoxville have; I don't expect deep roots to form here due to my lack of time to put forth the effort to do so. Then I got an email from one of my friends in Central America. Some might consider Central America my summer home, and indeed it seems like it is becoming that way. Yet, because of the cultural differences and ties I have here in the States I suppose it too will never become "home". With these thoughts in mind, I have come to the conclusion that I am "homeless" yet I'm content with this thought. My real home hopefully lies somewhere where all my friends from all these places will be together. I suppose that's why God has given us eternity, to have time to become reacquainted with everyone who has touched our lives and to meet those wonderful souls whom we never had the chance to meet here on earth. To use the old saying, my home is where my heart is, ie spread across states and countries in the form of many dear friendships and memories.
Time to go study embryology and clean the apartment. I may not have a "home" but I sure do have dishes and a house to clean. Anyone know of a good maid?

2 comments:

Justin said...

Michele, it was really good to see you on Monday. Not to be cliché and to respond with a good ole' spritual, but "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through. My treasures are laid up, some where beyond the blue;". You'll find that as you get older, things and people will change, but God's love won't.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the poetry.