9.06.2004

Viva Knoxvegas

Boomsday on the River


Nothing like spending a weekend in Knoxvegas. How can one describe it? The smell of combustion as the city spends lots of well-earned tax dollars to entertain its citizens with an impressive display of fireworks. But that's ok because the strong smell of alcohol everywhere is probably what brought in the tax dollars in the first place. I mean what's a UT football game weekend without thousands of good ol' Tennesseeans supporting their state with a little Jack Daniels and seeing who can get drunk the earliest? (the city is highly in favor of this since they just lowered the legal time to sell alcohol on Sundays from noon to 10am in honor of this weekend's game). And who can forget the sight as the whole town paints itself orange and white..everything from cars to window displays to that funny looking rubber mask the guy sitting two rows away from me was wearing. Except there was this one lady who thought it'd be cool to where light green pants instead of orange. Now maybe if she were a guy and colorblind I might could forgive here but come on....you just CAN'T where anything but orange or white on gameday. I mean its just blashphemy to not where the most hideous color on earth even if you are sitting up in the double letters like I was, closer to Mt.Leconte than Shield-Watkins Field (though I'm very grateful for being given those tickets). Why pay half of your paycheck to the VASF for season tickets and then NOT wear orange? I never thought I'd say I missed hearing Rocky Top but it was somewhat of a welcome sound to my ears...even after I'd heard it for like the 40th time. And since we beat UNLV, I didn't mind it too much when the whole crowd decided to yell "cow-poopie" on the crazy blind refs. You gotta love the enthusiam of the TN culture. We love our sports and ain't nobody gonna make a bad call on our boys out there on da field. Between some hardcore ice cream eating at girls' night (you can't have a girls' night without a gallon of MooseTracks and spoons for all) and all the munchies and cookouts at the CSC, I think my belly has extended to the size of the GoodYear blimp.
Yep...definitely a great weekend of fun, friends, and fellowship. Time to get back to the books and being a "serious" student.

"Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me. Good Ole Rocky Top. Rocky Top Tennessee!"

1 comment:

crittermer said...

Hey, Michele! That was a really funny post! I had a blast (no pun intended) this weekend, too. (I have a picture of girls' night on my blog now.) I hope the reality of schoolwork hasn't hit you too hard this week!