9.28.2004

An Epiphany

"C'mon Michele, you can do it," I kept telling myself. I was almost up the hill and my heart was pounding, body warm and sweat pouring; a contrast to the cool, crisp Autumn air around me and the breeze blowing past. "Alright! Sit it back down and take the resistance down to about a level 5" Sigh...I snapped back to reality to realize I was not hiking up some steep hill in the Smokies; rather, my feet were strapped to the pedals of a spinning bike and I was staring out the window onto a gloomy Johnson City day. I'm not a huge fan of cold weather (I'm glad God hasn't called me to be a missionary in Alaska), but I have to admit, the new coolness that pervades the mornings is somewhat refreshing. It brings back many fond memories of bonfires, hayrides, crackling leaves, smells of apple cider and all the other wonderful warm and cozy things of Fall. Maybe I'll get to enjoy some of those things this semester.
Overall, it's been a good day. I had an epiphany about my study habits in relation to Anatomy. I think I've finally pulled myself out of the undergrad mentality of "I don't want to learn this because I'm never going to use this information again so I'm just going to cram enough of it in my brain to do well on the test". So if I can just convince myself to succumb to nerdiness and think studying is the most fun thing in the world, then I think I'll do alright. We celebrated my friend Loan's birthday last night and it almost felt like a normal night of sitting around eating dinner with friends and watching TV until someone flipped it to some Medical/Health channel and we all started "ooing" and "aahhing" over the cool surgeries the docs were performing. Gotta love going to school with a bunch of medical school nerds :o).
Speaking of...it's time to hit the books again with my new improved study techniques. All play and no study means Michele can't go to Knoxville this weekend to hang out with friends and family.

No comments: