11.19.2005

Feliz Dia del Chompipe!

Or in other words...Happy Turkey Day!! (almost)

I've been thinking alot about the upcoming holiday: of all the memories of Grandma's famous sweet potato casserole, my aunt's "pink salad," making "pilgrim" and "indian" hats, and of drawing turkeys using the outline of your hand in elementary school. All this thinking has caused me to reflect back upon this past year and of all the things for which I have to be thankful. In our rat-race 24/7 society, we often find ourselves complaining of what we don't have and neglect spending time to consider that which we do have. At the risk of sounding sappy and trite, I bestow upon you the honor of reading my "Things for Which I'm Thankful" list (in typical Michele stream-of-consciousness order)

1. For two of the most wonderful parents in the world who didn't always give me what I wanted but gave me what I needed, who taught me what was important in life, and who have always supported me.
2. For the opportunity to study such a masterfully-designed, wonderfully-created being: the human body.
3. For all the opportunities I've had and experienced as a result of #2.
4. For modalities of expression: art, music, literature, photography, dance, laughter, tears, language, nature, and for the ability to appreciate these.
5. For autumn leaves on the VA campus and "10 minute break" walks with classmates
6. For 3 awesome study partners who make Micro fun with their crazy skits and "interpretive dances" of Spirochetes, macrophage responses to my favorite Guatemalan guest Shigella, etc.. (you'd have to be a med school nerd to understand)
7. For girls' nights and "try a new recipe" potlucks
8. For my sisters in Christ who always help me in dessert decisions (order both and split them) and for much more.
9. For my "Lois" (Louise), big brothers and sisters, and all the rest of my church family here
10. For having the opportunity to travel abroad and realize that though we may be from different backgrounds, speak different languages, and come from different cultures, we are all one in Christ.
11. For the people in #10 who have been such a blessing to me through their example, and for opening their hearts, homes, and lives to me.
12. To all those in other countries telling of the wonderful news of Christ
13. For having 66 books and countless verses to read of God's unending love and compassion for us.
14. For being able to meet with my classmates twice a month to pray
15. For the opportunity to reach out to the Hispanic community
16. For email and instant messenger (Someone once told me that God created the internet for missionaries. I don't know if that's true or not but it sure makes communication easier)
17. For quiet moments
18. For holidays free from studying
19. For trials and struggles that bring us to our knees and put things back into perspective
20. For friends and family and the blessed realization that "no man is an island"
21. For fuzzy kitties and snuffly, velvet-nosed horses
22. For "creamy nutmeg" scented candles
23. For waking up to see an unexpected dusting of white on the ground
24. For tulips and spring flowers and for changing seasons
25. For not having to watch my favorite football team lose to Vandy today :^P

That's all for now. Stay tuned for "Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Recipes to Impress Your Friends and Family" aka "some fun things to do with food." Speaking of...if anyone has any great dessert recipes, they would certainly be appreciated. I just found out that the powers-that-be of Thanksgiving dinner have assigned me to making dessert. Slice and bake cookies anyone?

1 comment:

Dave said...

Here's the recipe for one of the pies I'll be making for Thanksgiving this year. It's always a hit - basically a giant, rich chocolate chip cookie.

Kentucky Derby Pie

1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. flour
Pinch of salt
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 c. chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
1 (9") pie shell
1 tsp. vanilla or 1 tbsp. Kentucky bourbon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs, flour, salt and bourbon or vanilla. Add nuts and chocolate chips. Stir well. Pour into pie shell and bake until center is set, about 40 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Serves 6 to 8.