7.24.2005

How to Lose 5 Pounds...

..in 5 Days!!!

No I haven't disappeared. I just got attacked by amebic dysentery and Shigellosis all at once last Monday and am just getting over it. I was so excited when I got to eat breakfast this morning without the fear I'd regret it later. Its definitely not an experience I want to repeat and I don't recommend driving to Tikal while sick (but if you do there's a good doctor in Rio Dulce). I guess God is just getting me over any fear of being sick abroad and teaching me to perservere through any situation.
Its been an amazing experience the past few weeks and I know I will dearly miss all the friends I had and the I made here. It's been such a wonderful experience to be a part of God's work, sharing Christ, not religion, with those who need Him most, truly enjoying the presence of my brothers and sisters in Christ and the common love of God.
Since Friday I've been with Health Talents and a group of 50 working in the villages around ChiChicastenango. The poverty here is astounding but the people are so precious and pure, true sheep in need of a shepard. What a blessing it has been to spend three weeks serving our Lord in Guatemala.

2 comments:

kentbrantly said...

well, i suppose that's one way to add some excitement to a trip in Guatemala - as if simply driving to Tikal isn't an adventure enough in itself.
you alluded to one of my favorite verses from the Gospel of Mark, when Jesus fed the 5,000. "and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd." that is the response i pray that God would give me when i encounter people who don't know him - that i would see them as sheep without a shepherd and would have compassion on them. that can be really challenging. but that is the life that Christ lived, and that is what he calls us to.
i hope you are doing well, Michele. Dios te bendiga.

Michele G said...

Your're right-Tikal is an adventure within itself that becomes one too long to tell in comments. Let's just say I got roadside pickup from the Gran Jaguar Temple site courtesy of Manuel and Lester among other things.
That's a great passage. It's amazing how many times the Bible mentions Christ's compassion. I think that's an essential characteristic to anyone who calls themself a follower of Christ.

Anyways, I'm back home as of about 2 hours ago. More to come (ie feeble attempt to sum up an amazing experience) when I'm actually awake!!