7.06.2005

Greetings desde Guatemala

Good afternoon from Guatemala!
I am currently sitting in one of the infamous internet cafes trying to figure out the keyboard.
I arrived here yesterday without problems and have enjoyed every moment since. I cannot express to you what a joy it is to be here and to spend time with such wonderful Christian brothers and sisters such as Nancy and Manuel, two special friends whose great faith and willingness to allow God to use them is such an encouragement to me. It is such a blessing God has given us to have "family" in all parts of the world and to know that though we may be different in our language, culture, or location, we are all united in Christ.
Yesterday Nancy and I attended a women´s Bible study where the topic was the plagues of Egypt and how we each have our own plagues in our life. It reminded me of my own plagues that exist in my life, and how we are, myself included, so concerned about our physical bodies but seem to forget the "plagues" inside each of us.
It is interesting how we´re "religious" when it comes to things to keep our physical body healthy, spending money and time at the gym or on the latest diet, yet we are undisciplined in our spiritual training. Why is it that we don´t hesitate to ask for prayers for someone dying of an infection; however, if that same person were dying from whatever sin is infecting them, we would be so hesitant to petition prayer?
The next few weeks I will see many people suffering from illness as we hold campaigns in Jutiapa and La Union, Guatemala. I ask for your prayers that God not only opens our eyes to the physical needs of the people we encounter, but also that He shows us their spiritual needs as well and gives us strength to overcome any barrier of language, culture, or fear that may keep us from ministering to God´s precious children.

It´s going to be a busy but wonderful three weeks!!!

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows." -Isaiah 53:4

No comments: