5.26.2005

Pearls of Wisdom from a former M1

After many tests the past few weeks and much activity and travel the past few days, I can finally say I'm done, I'm home, and I'm officially to be called "M2." It's a wonderful feeling though sometimes I still feel like I'm just on a break and that the craziness starts back in a few days. Spending 6 or more hours on the road the past two days (I took a few detours) has given me lots of time to think about the past year of my life and what exactly I learned as an M1. Enjoy!

1. When they said medical school was hard, they were right. Medical school is hard.
2. Buying 3 inch binders is a good idea.
3. Joining student interest groups is a good way to cut your food budget in half.
4. The speed limit on campus is 20mph. Repeat: the speed limit on campus is 20mph

5. Cadaver Ball has nothing to do with cadavers.
6. "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven," including studying.
7. Even though you may be wearing a white coat and say that you attend medical school, people will still ask you, "So are you going to be a doctor or a nurse?"
8. Chocolate cake with the girls makes everything better.
9. Despite being medical school nerds, we still know how to play a little football.
10. Through prayer and faith, God can take even your most obscure talent and weave it into His perfect plan.
11. An open heart and an open mind open doors to many opportunities.
12. Movie nights and pizza after exams are a requirement.
13. Once a Vol, always a Vol

14. Cell and Tissue is a lot more fun on the "big screen."
15. Prayer is a powerful thing; be careful of what you pray for because it just might happen.
16. God never gives us more than we can bear, but sometimes He weighs us down enough to bring us to our knees.
17. There is life outside of medical school, albeit a small one.
18. I still don't know anything.
19. Appalachia is pronounced "Appa-lat-chuh" not "Appa-lay-shuh"
20. Johnson City drivers are worse than Knoxville drivers but better than Honduran drivers.
21. I will never be a perfect physician. I only need to remember to refer my patients to the one who was.
22. "Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round."
23. Professors aren't scary monsters.
24. Skipping class can be good for your grade.
25. It is possible to survive the first year of medical school.

3 comments:

Asterix said...

Oh! It's Appa-lat-chuh?

kentbrantly said...

these little lessons may just save me a lot of stress and trouble this next year. thanks for the heads-up.

Michele G said...

Yes Hanlin, it's Appa-lat-chuh. I was formerly of the other camp but had to repent of my errant ways upon coming to Johnson City.
No problem Kent though my best advice now would be to run far far away while you can. Just kidding. It really is worth it :o)