1.28.2005

"If You Can't Say Something Nice..."

"...then don't say it at all," or so the old adage goes.
I left school this morning at 7:30am to spend a day in Rogersville learning about Metabolic Syndrome (aka the consequence of gluttony) so by the time I returned to my house around 4:30pm, I was exhausted. Wanting to take a nap but knowing I needed to study and only having a few hours before Bible study, I pulled out my notes and sat down at the kitchen table. Unfortunately, the girl that lives below me has a knack for turning up the radio on the rare occasion that I decide to study at my apartment. Today was no exception. As I sat at the table, my productive thoughts being interrupted by the steady rhythm of the latest Christian hit, I knew I had to do something. Time was ticking and all I could think about was the music radiating through my floor.
I sat there trying to decide what to say. I couldn't just go down there and tell her to turn down her music. That would be really mean considering I'd actually never met the girl, and how lame does it sound to say, "Could you please turn down your praise Jesus music because I'm trying to learn some biochemical pathway?" Finally, after debating over what to do, a somewhat Christ-like idea popped into my head. I could go knock on her door and tell her that I heard her listening to one of my favorite radio stations. Then, after a brief conversation, I could politely ask her to turn down the music. I did just that, at least the first part of the idea. We actually talked for quite a few minutes. It turns out that she's a grad. student in English and we have a lot in common. Somehow, the conversation turned to church ,and I learned that she hasn't found a church home here in Johnson City. I invited her to our new Women's Bible Study on Thursday nights, and she may come next week.
Had I acted upon my first impulse, this encounter would have never turned into an opportunity to encourage someone else and help them grow in their faith nor meet someone who could become like a roommate in a large 4BR separated by a floor and a fight of stairs. It got me to thinking, how many people like my neighbor have I passed up? How many opportunities are lost because we speak before we think and talk before we listen?
Just some bread of life crumbs to chew on for the weekend.
Back to studying Biochem and praying I pass Monday's test!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Cool. Sort of reminds me of The Houseplant Song by Audio Adrenaline.

crittermer said...

Yes, you're exactly right, Michelita. We tend to become angry and act on our impulses in these kinds of situations, instead of trying to figure out the loving thing to do. I'm just as guilty as anyone.

And out of all the neighbors I've had who blared music (I've had quite a few of them by now), none of them have been blaring Jesus-praising music. I've had rap and rock and Indian dance blared through my walls, but never Christian. So even though your idea worked well for your neighbor, I'm not sure about mine. I don't think I can go over and say "Hey! I like your profane rap music that's full of cuss words, too! Now can you turn it down?" ::Sigh::: Why can't I have neighbors who blast Christian music? It would make it so much easier.