9.05.2005

These Birks Aren't Made for Walking


V-O-L-S!!!

I should know that a trip to Knoxville is never without a random outdoor adventure. However, having been gone from my former alma mater for months, I neglected to pack appropriate footwear. Anyone who believes hippies hiked all over California, and wherever else hippies live, in Birkenstocks is sadly mistaken. I personally think they are the ones who invented Chaco's. They just hid the design for abut 20-30 years until they realized the massive profit that could be made from selling these second soles to college yuppies. That being said, I wasn't wearing my Chaco's when the proposition was made that we should go burn all those calories from Pelancho's by a jaunt up the side of House Mountain.
Nor did anyone mention that this excursion would include a near-death slip (due to improper footwear) down a hundred foot cliff (ok maybe it was more like a twenty foot slope) or bouldering practice. Despite the slight mishaps and some girl's inflamed feet, it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

There's just something about seeing people and spending time with them that trumps any amount of emails, IM's, or phone calls. There's just something about sitting around and sharing life with your brothers and sisters in Christ, knowing that we're all in this struggle together. There are those places that occupy a special place in our hearts, not due to the geographic features or amenities; rather, due to the memories they contain of the friendships made and shared within their boundaries. I can't wait until the day when all those special places will become one, heaven, and we will have eternity to "catch up" and renew old acquaintances. To all my K-town peeps, it was great to see you again. Thanks for all the talks, laughs, meals, and adventures we shared the past few days. Your med school nerd friend is going back into the vault, but you'd better save the weekend of October 7-9th for another appointment with the great outdoors. I assure you that I'll bring the proper footwear.

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." -John Burroughs

No comments: