11.26.2004

BloG oN VacaTioN

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. "- Matthew 6:19

It was kinda nice to take a walk around the farm this weekend. Although every building on the premise was razed, the house, the barn, and even the old tractor shed, it brought a sense of peace and closure that I've been seeking for almost a year. The rubble of the structures that represented the passing of one of the cornerstones of my life will soon be replaced by highly-modern uniform edifices promoting the education of your future children. As my dog and I traversed the acres of once-grazed pastures and scouted the rubble of wood and rocks and weather-rusted farm implements, the verse above kept appearing in my mind. So many of us value the temporary. Almost every item of the rubble was once valued by someone whether it be the builders of the house 200 years ago or my horse who greeted me many frosty mornings from his stall in the barn. Yet, all these things are gone now. However, each of these items have left an impression on many and left me with many wonderful memories. More importantly is the impact of which the occupants and owners of these items left on me, and I realize that treasures are not to be found among the pile of rubble, now only valued by men with metal detectors, that was part of what I once called "home." Rather, enduring treasure is found in relationships with those we love and that which leads to eternity, ultimately, the cross. (I think heaven was made for eternity so we'll have time to get to know everyone there).

So as I think of what I want for Christmas, I can only come up with a simple request. I don't want the latest must-have that will be come the most recent has-been in a few months. I don't want to participate in the feast of materialism that descends upon our society at this time of year. What I want for Christmas is to spend time with those who God has blessed me with knowing for my precious time here on Earth. If you're in the middle TN area between 12/19-1/2 or passing along I-81 sometime between now and then, feel free to give me a call or email me and we'll try get together sometime.

In regards to the title of this blog, I'm taking a blogging hiatus for the next few weeks (with maybe a few short posts of verses and such) to concentrate on my upcoming exams, the end of the semester, and all that God has shown me the past few months. I will still be checking it from time to time so feel free to leave me a comment or drop me a message.

I Love Y'all and Good Luck with Exams!!

1 comment:

Justin said...

Definitely. Good luck on your exams. Your almost done with your first semester!