7.26.2004

Welcome to the World of Medicine

If everyday were filled with ice cream socials and cake at lunch, I think that med. school would be a breeze.  Today was the first day of introduction to the rest of my life, and I think I might just like it. 
There are sixty of us here in my class and diverse in our backgrounds as a Guatemalan skirt. 
I left college thinking I was pretty unique, smart, and old and have come to realize that I'm still young and inexperienced.  I haven't gotten my M.PH from Harvard, I haven't biked from Alaska to Mexico raising money for cancer children, I'm not married, engaged, or even have any pets (unless you count my Yuca cane plant).  These are just some of the things that are included in the bios of my peers.  Everyone I've met so far, including the faculty, has been really friendly and encouraging.  The next four years of my life (at least the next two) are going to be subject to the S word (studying), but at least I have good company for it.
I've learned that you pretty much have to give your entire life history to Johnson City before they will let you have water, electricity, or a phone. I have a phone number; I just can't use it yet until I get some silly form notarized and mailed to them. Speaking of...apparently I'm having to get a new cell phone too (something about not having my Sprint plan here in remote East Tennessee) so keep in touch with me so I can get you that number. I know, I'm really trying to run away from all you guys by changing my phone number, address, and soon, my email. Keep in touch, leave me a comment, and I hope to hear from you soon. I haven't (quite) dropped off the face of the planet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele-Are you the same Michele that graduated from LaVergne High School? Well anyway, your request for prayer has been forwarded to me by what I assume is a mutual friend but whether you are the one I know or not, I wish you luck in Med School and will include you in my prayers.

If you are the one I know, I was one of your band moms...