11.17.2004

All I Ever Need to Know...

...is that I'll never know everything.
It's been 3 1/2 months since I started school here at Quillen and what a 3 1/2 months it's been! Med school has taught me a lot of things. I've learned:

I'm not going to fail out of med school (at least not yet), and I'm never going to know everything about medicine. It's a continual process of learning.

Once you move away, the places and people you left will never be the same. Each new direction of our life gives us a new perspective on the paths we've already traveled.

Time is a precious commodity and the lack of it gives us a new appreciation for the mundane: a tree clothed in autumn color, the sun rise, a quick phone call from friends and family.

The complexity and beauty that exists within each one of us and how masterfully designed our bodies are.

That each of us possesses our own anomalies and genetic defects. It's what we do with them and how we view others with this realization that makes a difference.

There are a lot of bad physicians out there and there also some very compassionate and caring ones who realize the power of the white coat is the power to change a life.

That at those times in our lifes when we ask God for strength is when he burdens us so that we must come to our knees and acknowledge that He is our only source of strength.

Just like I'll never practice medicine perfectly, I will never be a perfect Christian. Just like I have physical defects, I have spiritual ones as well. I'm just thankful that the One who is Perfect has grace that will cover and heal both.

Health is a multi-faceted entity that is a conglomeration of physical, spiritual, and emotional components and often it is more within the power of the person than the physician to achieve a balance between the three.

Discpline is not something gained; rather, it is earned through experience and effort.

And finally....

I've learned that it's better to take the aluminum cap off the container of soup BEFORE putting it in the microwave. :o)

4 comments:

Justin said...

Deep thoughts, by Michele Gourley. If you haven't already done it, you should try nukeing a blank CD in the microwave for 10 seconds. Its slightly safer than aluminum and other metals.

crittermer said...

The best thing to do is put a roach in the microwave and cook it for a few seconds. Now there's a good time.

Michele G said...

Actually, I haven't done this (at least not since I was a kid). I just thought I'd put something funny at the end of my post and I couldn't think of anything else. However, putting Peeps in the microwave is quite an entertaining thing to watch.

crittermer said...

In lieu of today's lingo, I feel I should make a clarification on Michele's comment. Putting peeps (as in the marshmellowy candy things you buy at Easter) in the microwave is indeed quite entertaining. Putting your peeps (as in your friends) in the microwave would not be entertaining. Michele, I'm sure you already know this, but "peeps" is a word we've used interchangably with "friends" a lot this fall. Sorry for my smart aleck comment.