6.11.2007

Doffing the Coat and Donning the Cast

So today is my last day as a third year medical student...so technically I have an exam Tuesday and another one Friday, but today is my last day on the wards/clinic/etc. It's been an absolutely incredible year as I've helped pull life into the world and stood as a silent observer as life seeped out of this world. I've seen humanity at it's most joyful moments and it's most sorrowful moments. I've laughed, cried, pondered, vented, feared, lost sleep, and done more than I ever thought I could or would...and in the end it's been a wonderful experience. Call me and we'll grab a cup of tea to discuss it more...a year sampling most of what medicine has to offer leaves one with a novel full of stories (HIPAA compliant of course.)

But now it's time to hang up the coat that has gained me entrance into those sacred moments of humanity, study for that next requisite and way-over-priced exam, Step 2, and move on to the next role in my life: being a patient. They say doctors make poor patients. For someone who prides herself in her on-the-go mentality and who goes stir crazy when her weekly/monthly quota of physical activity and time spent outdoors isn't met, I fear that the next few months are going to be in some ways more of a challenge than the past 3 years. But then again, maybe not. Maybe this is an elusive period of time where I can catch up on my seemingly-shallow relationship with my Creator and really spend quality time in study and prayer. Maybe this is a "blessing in disguise", to use an over-used cliche. I still think spending 6 weeks on crutches + is going to be a challenging time. So with that said, I leave you until after exams and after surgery and request a few additions to your already lengthy prayer list:

1.That surgery goes well and that my tendon isn't torn or ruptured (which would mean an even longer recovery period)
2. That God grants me the strength and peace to accept adjusting to my temporary "lameness"
3.That I not become too discouraged but also use this time to not only physically heal but spiritually heal as well.
4.That I take advantage of this "free time" to really seek out God

38 days of "freedom" left and counting....

No comments: