5.12.2007

More than Crazy

Psychiatry--often dubbed the "easy rotation" of the 6 required third year rotations, the specialty most often joked about, and the one that conjures up images of long couches and "shrinks." Yet, during the past week, I haven't really found any of these terms or ideas particularly applicable. What I have encountered is alot of broken people, broken lives, broken relationships.

I have been astonished at the role sin plays in the causation and perpetuation of mental anguish. (I'm not oversimplifying mental disorders as a mere result of sin; many are due to organic causes). I am surprised at how scary and cruel the world can be without love, that people exist and live their lives with such blatant disregard for the rights, responsibilites, and limits of others. It is apalling that such people would cause such mental havoc in the lives of children by refusing to acknowledge and own their own sins and how the harboring of negative emotions and the refusal to deal with sorrow, suffering, and grief can display itself in such fearful and psychotic manifestations. At the same time, I realize that many of those people were probably once broken children as well.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't need a mental and spiritual "check-up" each year as much as we need a physical "check-up." And why is it that we're so willing to pray for and support the physical illnesses of others but seemingly reluctant to address the spiritual illnesses? Why does it seem like that the expression of grief and sorrow is sometimes perceived as less Biblical and that "just dealing with it" is a better option? My Savior grieved. Was he less of a person for doing so?

So after spending a week with "crazy" kids, I find my heart somewhat broken for them, I find my mind perplexed and wondering where I fit into this picture of broken people and a broken world, and I find my emotions grateful for a God who gladly mends the cracks in my own broken vessel and the vessels of others. I leave you with a few mental health "tips"... It should be an interesting rotation...

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." -Proverbs 14:30

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests before God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Godly sorrow brings repentence that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldy sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves...what longing, what concern..." II Corinthians 7:10-11

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other that you may be healed..." James 5:16

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." -Proverbs 29:11

1 comment:

kentbrantly said...

sounds like i have quite a bit to be prepared for...
keep up the good work.