10.17.2005

Five Favorite Scents...

...from this past week that will never be marketed as candles.

Isn't it amazing how a smell can evoke a memory? The whiff of an odoriferous substance like bubble gum, the kind that came in the square package with the baseball player on the front, can instantly transport you back 20 years to your childhood and standing in line at the toy store. Or another example--freshly sharpened number two pencils and crayons and you're back in the classroom for your first day of school. The following are five of my favorite scents (in no particular order) from this past week:

1. Horse and Leather
I can't tell you how great it was to be "back in the saddle" again. I hadn't ridden since my wreck over two years ago, and I'd forgotten how wonderful it feels to be astride an animal twice your size barreling down (ok so maybe it was more like ambling down) a grassy field like you're the next messenger for the Pony Express. Thank goodness for classmates whose in-laws own horses near my parents' home :o)

2. Dried Leaves and Haybales
I love the first signs of autumn: the smell of freshly fallen leaves, pumpkins, hayrides, and hot apple cider. No fall break is complete without a trip to the Walden's Pumpkin Farm and the purchase of a few soon-to-be Jack-O-Lanterns. Anyone have any carving or recipe suggestions?

3. Corn Dogs and Funnel Cakes
Cammie and I decided to take another road trip. No, we didn't make it all the way to Vegas this time, just to the Webb School Art and Craft Fair in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. There's nothing like wandering around streets filled with the handiwork of local artisans. I wanted to give 3 adorable snowmen/women good homes but my med. school budget wouldn't allow it. Did I ever mention how cute snowmen can be?

4. Homemade Biscuits and Mashed Potatoes
What a wonderful feeling it is to come home to freshly-cooked meal, especially when you don't have to cook it. Spending time in the Emergency Department this past week has made me appreciate how blessed I am to have parents like mine. I think a large part of who we become depends upon our upbringing and the love and support our parents show us.

5. Unwashed-purchased Clothes
Have you ever noticed how all clothes seem to have a particular smell to them after purchasing them? I'm convinced that all department stores/clothing carriers secretly manufacture and use a fabric spray called "New Clothing Smell." With all this talk about the big "P" word going around school, I decided it was time to purchase some garments that better fit the definition of the big "P" word. Needless to say, I am currently banned from going to the mall or any distributor or seller of textiles and/or related materials.

The past week has been a nice respite from the daily grind of medical school. Unfortunately, the aforementioned scents will soon be replaced by the stale coffee and copy paper aroma of Stanton Gerber Hall. Only two more months until the next break!

3 comments:

kentbrantly said...

We had fall break this past weekend as well, and not until reading your blog did I realize that I failed to visit the apple orchard during my break. It sounds like you had a great break. Your favorite scents make me smile... the consistent odor in my nose for the last 2 months has been formaldehyde.
Keep working hard. That next break will be here before we know it.

crittermer said...

The "P" word? Maybe I'm out of the loop, but you'll have to enlighten me on that one.

That was a great trip down memory lane, Michele! You're right--smells do have special meaning. I just love the smell of fall in general.=)

Michele G said...

The "P" word was shared with those who were fortunate enough to attend the special "Michele's stopping by the CSC on her way to JC/lunch on the strip" event held yesterday.
To those who didn't have the good fortune to attend, you'll just have to ask those who did and maybe they'll be nice enough to share such classified information :o)