10.04.2004

Life on Rocky Top

Nicoll and I showing our GameDay Spirit Posted by Hello


I debated on making this post one of my usual, serious reflective pieces or something a little more light and humorous. Seeing as how it's quite late at night (or early in the morning) and knowing that I'm typically characterized for being more goofy than somber at this hour, I think I'll put in something a little on the lighter side. That being said, on with the post....
I know you might be wondering, why is a medical student up in the wee hours of the morning when they have class at 8am? You see, I had the misfortune of travelling back to Knoxville this weekend where I was reintroduced to what life is like as an undergrad. Sadly, I think the influences of those of so lucky, full of free time, undergraduates overcame my responsible, professional nature that typifies my persona of the model med. student. While my oh-so studious peers were confined to visions of Netter's Atlas pages and dates with their Anatomy Lab Partners, I was observing another wonderful weekend in Big Orange Land.
Besides getting to spend time with the best little sister and best big sister a girl could want (Nicoll and Mer) and trying not to get into too much trouble, I decided to compile a list of "Thou Shalt Nots" for those unfamiliar as to how Tennessee Culture works on a game day weekend:
(In no particular order)

1. Thou shalt not wear any colors besides orange or white (note Nicoll and I demostrating proper UT attire on Saturdays in October). Lime green or the opponent's colors are unacceptable.
2. Thou shalt not use the late starting time of the game as an excuse for more time to raise your blood alcohol level
3. Thou shalt not be a guest of gracious UT hosts and then proceed to shout "War Eagle!!" on the premises of their humble abode
4. Thou shalt not turn around and offer your fellow UT fan peanuts only to tell them that they need to eat them because their throat is sore from "talking too much" throughout the game.
5.Thou shalt not refrain from the clapping of hands and the screaming of "Woo!" when encouraging songs about moonshine and women are played to spur your team on to victory
6. Thou shalt not use the traffic jam after the game as an excuse to violate every traffic law ever written
7.Thou shalt not get up in the middle of halftime, thinking that food is more important than watching the "Pride of the Southland" and the dance ministry team
and finally (who said there had to be ten of these?)...
8.Thou shalt not work for ESPN GameDay and then kick Smokey off the set for disliking your predictions

What can I say? Once a Vol, always a Vol.
Good Ol' Rocky Top (woo!), Rocky Top Tennessee!

2 comments:

crittermer said...

Hey! Did you get the permission of the photographer to use that picture?!;)

And yeah, what's up with everybody breaking the traffic laws during game traffice?! At least you got to ride in the big blue station wagon whose driver made a point of honking at each one of the traffic violators!

Anonymous said...

Hey, the photographer doesn't mind. You can always check up on his blog at http://www.imaging.utk.edu/~acuffj/. The photographer, having grown up in Alabama, had to make a choice, AU or UA. I made the choice to not go to the dark side (UA). I guess, once a Tiger, always a Tiger. Though I'll be wearing the UT orange next week.